Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Artist or Academic?

When considering identity, one might think of themselves as athlete, artist, female, or student. However, one's true identity is really a fusion of multiple identities. For one can be both sister and doctor, lover and fighter, healer and protector. At times one may find that that one of your identities is in conflict with another. Throughout my pre- University of Michigan years I felt defined by my abilities to express what I saw in the world through artistic means. If there were majors in High School, the fine arts probably would have been mine. I felt my artistic abilities shaped me and would always be who I was. However, at the same time, I also excelled in my none art classes and considered myself a good student. Often times in high school people are stereotyped into very specific groups, and I found myself in two. Artist and academic. I never put much thought into the matter, for I always believed that no one had a single identity, and I never came across a conflict of interest. That is until I entered the University of Michigan.

Arriving in Ann Arbor, 600 miles from my New York home, I felt everything would be the same as it always was in the past, and I could continue to excel in multiple areas. I do not think that this idea was necessarily naive, but perhaps it was warranted that this should not be the case. I entered college with the notion that I might consider the pre-medical path but also considered art history. First semester I tried my hand at balancing both by taking general chemistry with labs in addition to an Italian renaissance art history class. My head was swimming with images of Agony in the Garden by Bellini, the Birth of Venus by Botticelli, and the doors of the Duomo in Florence by Ghiberti. At the same time NaCl was an ionic compound with a high boiling point and a crystal lattice structure and diethyl ether would dissolve in the organic layer of an extraction because "like dissolves like." I knew this could not last long. When second semester rolled around and my adviser told me all the the necessary pre-requisite classes that were needed in order to just be considered at a medical school for admissions, my mouth dropped. That was the end. It was almost as my liver turned toward my kidney and kicked it out. There was no alternative, if I wanted to pursue a career in medicine I would have to sacrifice an identity, I had to kill a part of me. This was more than just a conflict of identities.

I made the sacrifice. Well at least I thought I did. I filled my schedule with science classes and extracurricular activities that were aimed at impressing a medical school admissions committee. When I traveled to the Dominican Republic with a team of students with the hope of providing medical relief to as many as possible, I could not help but take photographs in my mind and think of how great I could develop them in the dark room, or how I could portray the familial love but destitution of material well-being. But, I was there for a medical purpose and there was no time for much else, so I quickly re-focused. In some ways I feel the artist is still a part of my identity but the overwhelming science information I have acquired over the past 3 years is clouding any remnant of my creative expression.

This must seem familiar to you. Is there a time in your life where two of your defining identities conflicted, where you might have even had to choose one over the other. It is possible that the way in which you interpret my conflict is actually based on your own identities, experiences, and what you sympathize with. This is what I choose to question. How is it that you are receiving my conflict of identity?

3 comments:

  1. Amanda, I really appreciate the descriptiveness of your post. It brings a new dimension to your identities when you not only describe them but also paint the pictures of what you were thinking and feeling. It lets your audience feel apart of that identity as well.

    When I read your post it made me think of a similar time when I had to lose a part of my identity. I moved to Ann Arbor from Marquette inbetween my sophomore and junior years of high school. In Marquette my identity was my association with the basketball team. I was on the Varsity team as an underclassman. I also lived and breathed basketball. When I moved to Ann Arbor no one associated me with basketball or even cared that I had played. Basketball is no longer a part of my identity but I still play freqently and enjoy doing so.

    I understand your pain of being controlled by your pre-med coursework and extracurricular activites. I am sorry you had to choose betwen two things you love. But, do you think that just becasue you had to choose between two paths of study that you had to "kill" a part of who you are? One great thing about Michigan is that it gives you hundreds of outlets for different passions and identites one may posssess whether they are majoring in it or just enjoy it. I hope you find a way to bring your artsy side of you back into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Heather's comment, that there must be some way for you to hold on to your artsy side. It made me sad when you said you had to "kill" part of your identity. I don't think you can ever "kill" part of your identity, maybe you just put it on the back burner for a while.

    I was no artist in high school, but I did love English and the Humanities. When I enrolled in UM as an engineering student, I was very fearful of suffocating these interests. With no language requirement and a humanities requirement I had almost already filled with AP credit, I thought there was no hope for humanities classes in my schedule. I made a list of some classes I really, really wanted to take while at UM (anthropology, philosophy, spanish) but was devastated to meet with my adviser and learn that none of them would fit into my schedule. My freshman year, I took only math and science classes, and I began to feel a part of me disappear. I tried to keep a journal, but it was hard to find time between all of the math homework sets and computer programming projects. In order to fill my pre-med "english requirement" sophomore year, I decided to challenge myself by taking a Comparative Literature course instead of the usual English 125. This class allowed me to stretch my brain again in a way I hadn't been used to. This semester, I chose to take this Argumentative Writing course instead of Professional Writing. Even though the latter may have been easier to handle with my other classes, I think its important to put myself into situations that I am not used to and take advantage of the resources that are available to me at this university. Even though the humanities are no longer the main focus of my studies, I think it's important to find a way to keep in touch with this part of my identity. The more I learn, the more I know how importance balance is in life. It's important to keep doing things you love, even if it is only for a few minutes a week.

    P.S.- I went to the Dominican Republic for a month last summer as well, and absolutely fell in love with it. I'd love to talk to you more about your experience there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to all of you, also. It is difficult to feel as though you must 'kill' an identity in order for another to flourish. I wonder what in us responds so fiercely to protect this identity though. I mean, it may be true that the artist needs to die, or at least fade into a distant background, while you pursue the pre-med track. I wonder, can we summon old identities back after we have excused them for awhile? For example, I find myself missing my poetry self more and more as I move deeper into this PhD program where the focus is on the social sciences. I like the social sciences, more in practice than in theory-- I like case notes and interviews, etc. At the same time, I find writing in the social sciences genre is anti-poetic. Does killing an identity mean it can never come back or only that we ask that identity to step aside, take some time off?

    ReplyDelete