Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Importance of Physician Patient Understanding

Today in English 225 class, Payel gave a presentation on the importance of medical school students using the biopsychosocial approach when treating patients. I thought she both persuasively and effectively explained how physicians need to be educated on how to learn about both the physical and emotional aspects of their patients in order to give a proper diagnosis and effectively treat them. I found that her presentation and my presentation were similar in respect to the fact that we feel if doctors understand their patients they can provide more effective treatment. All the research I have done on my topic has explained that physicians who have a disease or have experience being a patient can relate and empathize more with their patients, making them more understanding and more able to connect and help them. It seems that another option to attaining a more personable physician-patient relationship when the physicians do not have experience being a patient or I have a disease may be using this approach that Payel argues for. In order for physicians to fully understand their patients they should use a biopsychosocial approach. This method allows a physician to really get to know the patient and the person and not just the person's disease and physical ailments.

The most appealing aspect of this biopsychosocial approach is that it facilitates a stronger relationship between the physician and the patient. I think this occurs because patients see that their doctors are making a strong attempt to get to know them and understand what other aspects; psychological, emotional, or social, are playing a role in their lives and may possibly be contributing to the disease state that their patients find themselves in. In using this approach patients become more comfortable with their doctors by having the opportunity to talk to them and explain themselves without just having to get examined and diagnosed within ten minutes. The approach also provides the doctors with a broader knowledge of their patients and the things that they do, which allows the doctor to better understand where the physical ailments are coming from. By getting to know all aspects about their patients and their lives, physicians can connect with their patients and make them feel comfortable and secure that they are receiving the best possible treatment since the doctors know everything in their lives that could be leading to a symptom. Both Payel's presentation and my presentation explained the necessity for physician understanding of where their patients are coming from in an effort to provide more effective treatment. Physicians need to really understand their patients and to do so need to devote time and energy to getting to know them, rather than just seeing them for ten minutes, giving hem medication, and sending them on their way to deal with the adverse effects their new conditions will have on their identities. They should take the time to get to know the different aspects of their patients lives so that they know how to more effectively and efficiently treat them. The understanding that doctors seek in this case proves to lead to more effective treatment options for patients, and can be best employed by using the biopsychosocial approach when visiting with and treating patients.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    I completely agree with your analysis of Payel's presentation, and with your analysis of the biopsychosocial approach as a whole. I believe that physicians often seem overwhelmed, although I feel that this is something that cannot be solved quickly. I hope that as more medical schools open and more students become doctors that the physician population will increase to allow more time spent with patients. In addition to being able to understand their patients and see underlying problems that could contribute to the disorders, I think that greater patient-physician interaction is mentally comforting for the patients.

    I recently spoke with one of my coworkers about her husband's recently diagnosis of brain cancer. I felt that it was a shame that she didn't feel educated at all about the condition, and was constantly turning to the internet to understand just the basics of the conversation. In my 45-minute discussion with her, I realized how comforting it was to her to have someone explain what they knew (although I don't know much). This is not to mention the fact that I feel much closer to her as a person. I feel that this level of discussion is often difficult for doctors to perform because of the large patient population they must serve, but hopefully with time this situation will improve. I think more patient-doctor contact would be greatly beneficial for both parties involved.

    Thanks for your reminder about the biopsychosocial method. I think it definitely has merits, although its execution is currently limited.

    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,

    I have learned so much about medicine this past semester from you and our English 225 peers, like Payel. There are so many factors that I did not realize affect diagnosis and patient treatment. Furthermore, despite the fact you and our peers recognize the importance of the many factors, there are still a vast majority of doctors that do not recognize this and do not take this into account when treating a patient. Perhaps this reflects a recent change in doctor training and recent shift. I say this because I have found the doctors I have been to that are jointly professors and practicing physicians/ surgeons are often the best. For example, the surgeon I went to for vocal surgery jointly teaches at Loyola Stritch was able to put me at ease about the surgery- which can actually have serious implications. Others, whom have far less serious implications often make me feel uneasy. Your recognition will significantly help you in your future medical endeavors.

    -Amanda D.

    ReplyDelete