Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Home Care for elderly patients vs. Residential Care Facilities

In English 225 class yesterday one of my fellow students gave a presentation arguing for increased use of home care treatment for Alzheimer's patients. She gave a persuasive argument which really made me think about the available treatment options for elderly patients who are slowly losing their motor skills, memories, and the ability to properly and adequately perform basic tasks and care for themselves. Although I found the presentation to be very effective, I feel that the decision to enter a residential care facility or pursue home care is situational and is largely dependent on the family of the elderly person and the person with the condition as well. Although home care is a great way to keep families together, it is not always the best or most convenient plan for some families.

For one, some families that consist of full time working parents and young children may find it difficult to care for a sick parent and find enough time to complete all of their daily tasks in addition to caring for and providing the proper medical and emotional attention for their loved one. Although I think this sounds terrible and do not think I would personally ever find it to be the case, some families can not find the time to care for their loved ones because of the strains and pressures of raising and feeding a family and paying the bills. In these familial situations having to care and look after an ill loved one causes extra pressure and stress and may thus lead to negative results and conflict within the family. In these scenarios residential care facilities provide a helpful and resourceful option for families.

However, there are families that being together is the most important thing. In this case they would reek the benefits of the advantages of home care for their sick loved ones. For instance, when my great grandmother became ill, my grandmother opted to have her live with her and my grandpa and mom and uncle. My great grandmother lived with them for years and they had hired home care to come and help take care of her. My grandma also devoted a great deal of her time caring and providing the medical attention my great grandmother needed. In this situation home care proved to be extremely beneficial since it fulfilled what was important to my family, being together all the time.

Overall, I think home care is equally effective as residential care facilities but the option to chose one over the other is extremely situational, and is dependent on the families of the ill loved one and their morals, values, and situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment